Saturday, September 18, 2021

Happy, Sad, Happy Sad....Happy? Sad?

One thing I have come to realize with my new empty nest status is that my emotions are all over the place. One minute I am like "I am so happy for my child! She is going to do such great things!" then the next minute I am like "But did I teach her everything she needs to know? How will she be able to survive out in the world without me!" 

I am happy that I have my house back without some little know-at-all teenager telling me where I should put things and how I should decorate, or you know...think she had a right to channel check and watch whatever she wanted even though I was already sitting down watching something. But I also miss the extra company while watching a silly reality TV show, or the random cuddles I would get while watching said TV show. 

I miss my child's witty comments and silliness, but then the flipside I am enjoying not having someone argue with me about everything. I mean EVERYTHING....every...little...thing. Boy can that girl argue! 

I found myself the other day getting all misty eyed because I was thinking about my kiddo and got sad. Minutes prior I had been all happy and go lucky and then like a flip of a switch....

Sigh....Seriously I think this has been the hardest part of being a parent. Sleepless nights? No biggie! Sick kiddo? Piece of cake! Watching your child become an adult? STRESSFUL!

The back and forth of my emotions had me thinking about a scene from the Disney movie Tangled. I think this pretty much sums it up!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Parenting 201: Parenting the Parent

 So, your kid has moved out, is off at college, or is simply just adulting on their own. You and the other parental unit are planning some b...